VirtuePoker.com

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Food, Poker, and business stuff

Didn't play much online poker this week. Played one night and qualified for the Sunday $1000 freeroll, and played some last night but didn't have anything too exciting happen. I have really been concentrating on gathering information on this Personal Chef business. Instead of playing live poker on Friday, Kim and I went to some restaurant supply stores and let me tell ya, we were like two kids in a candy store. It was a ton of fun. We bought some black aprons, squeeze bottles for the EVOO and other oils, some flexible cutting boards (don't really like the ones that we got, they slide around the counter too much) some individual pizza pans for everyone in the house since we all like different toppings, we can all make our own, some spoonula's, and a couple of big square bowls primarily for garbage bowls (they were on clearance for a buck). The main reason we went down there is to find a Jaccard. If you don't know what that is, it is a meat tenderizer that has multiple small blades that you push into the meat. http://jaccard.com/Home-Product-WTender-16B.asp?group=R if you want to take a look at it. I really wanted the 48 blade model, but it costs $42 in the store. I thought when I was researching it online I saw that model for $22. I ended up get the 16 blade model just because we needed to have it for the flank steak fajitas that we ate last night. Probably should have bought the one I wanted, but oh well. The Jaccard does an amazing job with the meat. We had tried a tequila marinaded fajita recipe a couple of weeks ago and found the marinade a little too sweet and the flank steak a little too chewy and tough. Last night we tried a new recipe for the marinade and used the Jaccard on the meat before we put it in the marinade, and it turned out REALLY GOOD. You basically put lots of little holes in the meat to help break it down, then the marinade gets into all the little holes and just flavors the meat beautifully. I highly recommend the Jaccard to anyone who works with tougher pieces of meat. Don't use the normal metal mallet tenderizer, those things are worthless.

As far as the Personal Chef business goes, I have been putting together a ton of info and it is really coming together nicely. Kim had an idea for the name. I found some really nice yellow towels at COSTCO that we use in the kitchen to wipe our hands with, put under cutting boards, and clean up afterwards with. Then we bought these black aprons. I put my apron on and tucked my yellow towel in the front of the apron and Kim giggled and said I looked like a bumble bee. For what ever reason, that has stuck with me and all I can think about is using that as the name of the company. Not bumble bee but Busy Bee. The marketing, advertising, tag lines, uniforms, and even a possible logo design keep going through my head. I looked online for some possible website URLs and it seems to be a possibility. I don't know, it could be really cheesy, or it could work really well. I have a list of possible names, so I added it to the list, we shall see.

Well it is just about time to start getting ready for the race and some online poker. Talk at ya later.

No comments: